Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Different names for the same thing

It's 2008. Has been for about an hour now. I passed up a couple of lame parties for a couple of lame reasons:
1. My parents are rather anal, and even though I'm now almost 21, I still have to follow their rules when I'm at home if I want them to continue to pay for my car, my phone, half of my education, etc. I want them to continue to pay for that, so I didn't drive anywhere tonight. Logical, I think.
2. I absolutely love my sister. I do. She's amazing. She thinks I talk her up too much so that when my friends finally meet her they're not too overly impressed, like they expect way too much and she lets them down. It's just because they don't know her like I do. I stayed home with her tonight and we made fudge and homemade cookies and watched Dick Clark and wanted to give him cocoa and let him go home and sleep, that poor, old man. It was awesome. We're gonna watch Scrubs on DVD now til we crash. Movie day tomorrow. She's a winner.
3. Erica wanted me to go with her to a party at 26-Year-Old's apartment, and, though I do greatly enjoy the company of my new friend 26-Year-Old, I wasn't down with a big group of his 20-something friends, half drunk and with no date. Who knows? Maybe some majorly charming, drunken stud was there and I just missed my shot at marrying a future Amazing Man. Really, I just didn't want to be stuck next to some drunk guy I just met around the time the ball dropped and be forced to kiss the guy. Yeah, a not so happy new year to me!

That being said, as I watched Dick Clark kiss his wife around 12:01, I came up with my New Year's resolution. I've never had a New Year's kiss. Actually I haven't really done any of those cliche' kisses like in the rain or on a plane... or with a guy named Jane... ok I needed a rhyme. Anyway, New Year's resolution, terribly lame, but hey, it's what I would like to happen in 2008: I want a New Year's kiss. Not with some guy named Chris that I met around 8:00 that night. I want it to be with somebody I care about, someone I know. I'm not looking at it as like a requirement or a major goal I'm going to make happen. It's just what I'm hoping for. It'll happen. Someday. When it does, it better be damn good because this hopeless romantic is a little tired of getting shafted.

No comments: